Monday, January 20, 2020

SURROUNDED BY THE SACRED

 

SURROUNDED BY THE SACRED


When I was a kid
if you dropped a prayer book
you had to kiss it after you picked it up

I feel that way
about most any book

          well, not Mein Kampf, say

                    but any work charged
                    with the love of writing
                    or of making
         
          The Joy of Cooking, say.

The sacred can be so embarrassing

          not so much when we are alone
         
          more so in polite company
          where a fervent

                    Thank God, or even
                              Oh my goodness

          might be viewed as quaint

and where a sign of the cross

          (Christian or Elemental)

would be thought deranged.

We’re surrounded
by the sacred

All Life – All Living

Why would that be embarrassing?


You are the blossom
the
hummingbird
visits

sacred

If you fell
I’d pick you up

and if you’d like

I’d kiss you.


RW
Guanajuato, Mex
Martin Luther King Day
01.20.2002

(I have no financial interest in the novica website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment