Friday, May 11, 2018


Morpheus



BOUGHS BREAK


Go to sleep. 

Sometimes sleep
is the only place
left
to go.

Let’s go to sleep.

They’re going to sleep.

night
slips through
gossamer wings

(Just one of those things…Cole Porter)

Metamorphosis

We become the place.

He’s asleep
so is she

They are asleep.

As in all things
we
are alone

the symbol is “O”
the number is “1”


THE MILITARY AND SLEEP


As a trainee in boot camp I was so tired that if I wasn’t engaged in a physical activity I would fall right asleep.  I slept through lectures on hygiene, the care and assembly of various weapons, the Universal Code of Military Justice, etc.

A few of us were able to sleep while standing in formation.  Some of us fell over.

According to Article 113 of the Universal Code of Military Justice, falling asleep on duty may be considered dereliction of duty.  Punishment can include sanctions up to and including the death penalty (in times of war.)  

The Army takes staying awake very seriously.

The Army taught me how to sleep anywhere.


SOMETIMES YOU CAN’T GET THERE

Drink
Surf
Read
Fret
Pace
Weep

Ambien likewise Silanor likewise Lunestra likewise Sonata etc like that


It’s been said that no one has ever died from lack of sleep, but, unfortunately, members of the Roeter family of La Serenissima have suffered insomnia unto death – fatal familial insomnia.  Unable to speak, or to walk, though conscious ‘till the end, they fall into a comatose state of fatal exhaustion.  

Once, when I was a boy, I sat at my bedroom window for as long as I could trying to catch insomnia.  I thought it would be a wonderful thing to never sleep, and it would make me special.

As an adolescent I thought staying up all night was the ultimate victory.

As an older drunk I thought greeting the dawn was an accomplishment.


TAKING REST

You may rest
without sleeping

You may sleep  
without resting

Sleep may prove elusive
rest even more so.

I would spend Saturday’s in Frankfurt.  I’d drink beer, eat street food, go to the opera, and sleep.  On a few occasions I slept through whole operas, including intermissions.  I never felt rested, only hung-over.


THE FOLLOWING HAVE OCCUPIED SLEEP

A Weary Hobo
Guardian Angels
Irene
Mr. Sandman
You
Me
Bob Dylan
A Black Horse – Caballo Negro
Dead People
Joe Hill
A Dog Driving a Convertible
Various Witches
Silver Spaceships


LOCATIONS FOR SLEEP

Locations for sleep
can be easily divided
into good, and bad.

Some good places to sleep are:

Your own bed
Your girlfriend’s or boyfriend’s bed
A sleeping bag under the stars
The back seat when you’re ten years old
Your mom’s arms likewise your dad’s likewise your grandma’s etc like that
The couch on a rainy afternoon
The couch on a rainy afternoon with a cat on your belly
A boat – gently rocking

(I have slept in all those places.)


Some bad places:

The back seat when you’re thirty
A doorway
A snowbank
Behind a dumpster
A hospital room
The gutter
Behind the couch
Your girlfriend’s or boyfriend’s front yard
Behind the wheel of a moving vehicle
Any place that when you wake up you don’t know where you are, or how you got there.

I have slept in all those places.  I have never had a problem sleeping.

 
Natalie  Shau


LULLABIES COME WITH

Wolves
Giants
Judas
Storms
The Bogeyman
Jesus
A Face at the Window
Goats
Crows
Black Eagles
Stupid Fathers
Ghost Cats
Murderous Mothers
Your Own Corpse, or Your Head on a Post


Nota Bene:  Brain cells produce waste.  When we sleep, the waste is flushed out of our brains.  Or, in the words of Dr. Jeffrey Illiff:  After decades of uncertainty about cerebrospinal fluid movement in the brain, we finally know which way the wind is blowing.  (You don't need a weatherman...Dylan)


PRAYERS BEFORE SLEEP INCLUDE

Keep my soul; take my soul
Wrath on the powers of witchcraft
Fury upon the agents of affliction
Panic and havoc on those who would cause disgrace
Death to the arrows of evil delay
Scatter the clouds of darkness likewise the satanic court
Burn the child of darkness likewise the garments of reproach
Release my money
Gimme, gimme, gimme.

(I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine...  Boudleaux Bryant)


DEITIES & DEMONS

Phobetor
Phantasos
Hypnos
Morpheus
Breksta
Somnus
Incubus
Succubus
Dab Tsog
Baku
Mara
Alp
Nocnitsa
Pesanta
Trauco

(Guardian angels around my bed/Standing by till I rise/There's one with shining wings that holds my hand/And shows me Paradise...  Gerda Beilenson/Harpo Marx)


DANGER

It is not unusual to die while asleep. It is unusual to die while sleep-walking, but it has occurred.  In rare cases, a person could fall out of bed, hit her head, and die.


HOW ONE SLEEPS

Like a log
Like a cat
Like a dream in a grave (1)
Deeply
Fitfully
Like a rock
Like an old dog
Like wrecks in the unfathomed main (2)
Like a baby
Like the dead­­­­­
Like a caterpillar sheathed in ice (3)
With one eye open

(1)   A.J. Ryan
(2)  Letitia Elizabeth Landon
(3)  William Wordsworth



ASLEEP WE MAY BE AFFLICTED BY

Night sweats
Leg cramps
Thirst
Terrors


I was six years old.  I slept in my own room.  One night I opened my dream eyes/sleep eyes and saw the monster - a huge, squat shadow with glowing eyes.  I rolled to the wall that bordered one side of my bed, and pushed so hard to get away that I wedged myself between the wall and the bed.  I must have been calling out.  My auntie came into the room and comforted me.  I woke for barely a moment, saw the monster bureau against the other wall, and fell back asleep.


We slept so deeply before we were born.


RW
Seattle
5.11.2018

























No comments:

Post a Comment