Friday, February 15, 2019

HERE WAS I WE ARE


Her face
    open


I step toward


    I'm standing


    behind
her eyes
    seeing
with my eyes
    through
her eyes


night.


We
look down


    sidewalk
    curb
    gutter


    asphalt pocked black


We
look up
    doorways lights
    no cars 'til cross
         then headlights
white yellow
         then tail lights
red
streamers.


I
close
my
eyes


Hear
through
her
ears


Muffled


a name


Mine  Hers


    Neither


    No matter.


She is
    we are
         walking.


Heels
like
finger
snaps.


Then -

BANG


She is/We are
    running


vision
blinking
random/fast


forwarding

frac-tur-ing


She-I
stumble trip fall


air     like deep water


Her/My/Our
hand
stretches catches breaks
    our

fall

         then

plain air
clear sight

night


I
Me
I


watching
rushing
have rushed
am


    helping


dark flesh

         jeans
         leather


I have their
arm


flesh
    warm


night
    warm


Facing -


Are you…?


         Yes


Good, ok...


         Thanks


Sure
be careful...


         You too


I will


         I will.



RW
Oaxaca City, Mexico
02.13.2019
    
Photo: mine, Guanajuato City

2 comments:

  1. I like it - I don't think it's terribly different, perhaps longer than your other poems - it's exciting, moves in an unexpected direction....
    if I were to criticize anything it might be the ending because it's so wrapped up and there's no ambiguity - but maybe it's right as it is...I don't know

    ReplyDelete