Tuesday, April 2, 2019

WALKING TO THE PANAMA




WALKING TO THE PANAMA
Seattle – 03.28.2019

1.

Cut through Judkins Park
on my way to the I.D.

African-American man
of indeterminate age
could be thirty could be fifty
sitting on the steps
in the sun
with two tall boys fresh
and two young boys
ten or twelve years old

I greet them
walk past
one boy says

Hey, mister
can you give me
five dollars?

Sorry, kid
says I
I’m running on empty.

Which I am
except for American Capitalist
credit card good for all emergencies
in my privilege pocket.

I walk away
thinking about what
one time I might have done

judgments/anger

On this Seattle sunshine day
I walk away

saddened

thinking about my future
not much left not worried

thinking about their future
blank screen
fade-to-black

Thinking:

This is the world we’ve made
This is the world we’re making
This is the world we’re passing on

This is the world.

2.

What looks like
a rumpled & crumpled
pile of carpet felt
is some somebody’s shelter

A sneakered foot kicks out

In a second
the top flops
a hand reaches
fingers grab a bottle
bottle disappears.

This is the world.


3.

Down the street
a giant bodhisattva
blesses fresh fruit juice bubble tea



RW
Seattle
03.28.2019



No comments:

Post a Comment