Friday, December 27, 2019

ON THE FOURTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS


                                                     (J.J. Tissot - Brooklyn Museum)

HEROD

Herod’s brain was
riddled with worms.

When the Magi
were presented
he wept
and trembled
even before they spoke.

They

sotto voce

sang charms 
each in the glimmer
of his own language
and calmed him.

Composure
regained
Herod sat
sharp eyed
listening.

Sly Herod
wished
the Magi would -

“return and tell me
of this new king’s
birthplace.”

They agreed, of course.

Weeks later,
when they hadn't returned
he voiced his command. 

His Chamberlain nodded

orders were given
soldiers dispatched

and the Innocents
were slaughtered

but not before

gold
frankincense
 and
myrrh

financed a family's flight

to safety.


I AM THE VICTIM

All lines excerpted from Adolph Eichmann’s final statements at his trial in Jerusalem, 1961-1962)
***

(crack of two stones rapped together)

I have heard the court’s verdict.

(crack)

I see myself…disappointed.

(crack x 2)

I am the victim.

The witnesses’ statements made my legs go numb.

It was not my wish to slay people.

(crack)

I was held fast in those dark duties.

Obedience was not easy.

I obeyed.

(crack)

I am tormented.

I never carried out killings.

No bloodguilt lies on me.

I would ask forgiveness.

I am not the monster.

(crack)

I am the victim of an error.

I suffer here for others.

I am the victim.


I must bear what fate has imposed upon me.

(crack x 2)



No comments:

Post a Comment