Monday, September 2, 2019

HELLO STRANGER


HELLO STRANGER

I was told
my place
in  the universe
while walking
from
motor-pool
to
barracks
on an army base
in Germany

stoned

A joint
rolled in ‘Nam
sealed in an envelope
traveled through the
Army Post Office
and arrived
on my desk

potent

PO-tent

A couple tokes
and I slipped
outside
myself
and
entered
a
message-center
where

I
was
informed
of who

I was

&

where

I

lived.


1966.  I was stationed on the Coleman Kaserne, in Gelnhausen, Germany.

A suspicious envelope arrived on my desk.  It had no return address.  There was nothing inside but a big, fat joint.  I had a pretty good idea who it was from, but how it got through the Army postal system without being confiscated, stolen, or me busted, I had no idea.  It may be that all the way down the line, whoever handled it was just as stoned as I was about to get.  There were a lot of stoners serving in 1966.

I decided to work late, and allowed some time to pass after the last person left the office before I locked the doors, pulled the shades, turned out the lights, and lit up. I sucked down two hits, and went from nervous to stoned, 0 to 60, in no time flat.

Those were the days of carbon copies, and onion skin paper.  Before long, my desk was covered in pink onion skin and I was agog at the works of man, the play of light, and the wonder of color.

After I came down a little, I straightened out my desk, left and re-locked the office, and huddled behind an armored personnel carrier where I had one or two more hits before I began the long walk up the hill to Company A barracks.

I was about half-way home when the telegram came, and I was welcomed into the life of all things.


I
spent
the next
twenty years
chasing
that
one
high.


RW
Seattle
08.30.2019

No comments:

Post a Comment