Thursday, October 25, 2018

RODEO LOVE





About forty years ago, a friend commented that making love to his new girlfriend was like going to the rodeo.  I wasn’t exactly sure what he meant, but it stuck with me.  This may be a warning to always be careful around writers.  You don’t know what they’ll remember, or when they’ll use it.

RODEO LOVE

I’ve been to the movies
been to a few plays
I’ve been to the opera
and to the ballet
but lovin’ you, darlin’,
is like a rodeo
with a calf half roped
and a buckin’ bronco.

Now, I’ve been to Paris
and I’ve been to Rome
been a hundred places
I wouldn’t call home
I’d take an ocean liner
to the farthest foreign shore
to rope and ride you, darlin’,
behind a closed door.

You are the lightning in my heart
and the thunder in my dreams
you are the final move
in my wildest schemes
you feed me when I’m hungry
give me drink when I’m dry
make me feel just like myself
in the blue sky of your eyes.

I’ll always love you, darlin’
though I roam from place to place
I’ll love you here on earth
or floating out in space
doesn’t matter if you’re here
or if you have to go
I’ll be barrel racing all through life
in our romance rodeo.

RW
Seattle
10.25.2018

(Sometimes it’s just fun to start rhyming and see where it takes you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment